The military fuel canisters are the airtight containers which are used to contain, transport and store the fuel. A military fuel canister may be both a cylindrical, flat-bottomed or warped type of container made of metal, paperboard, plastic and plywood to transport the large quantities of fuel as well as to a plastic container of greater capacity than the common bottle. The cansiters made of wood are called barrels.
The famous and most used military fuel canisters are the jerry cans. A jerry can was one of the designs of the portable hermetic containers for fuel and water invented by the Germans before the beginning of World War II with the name of Wehrmachtskanister with a capacity of 20 liters. During the course of the war, the British and Americans were impressed by the outstanding design of it and commenced to manufacture it by the name of jerry cans. In the coming days, its use was extended to the industry along with the major means of transporting and storing fuel for the military.
The Wehrmacht-Einheitskanister for 20 liters of fuel in the mid-1930s for the German Wehrmacht had been developed in almost all the Europe and North Africa in the course of WWII. These containers continue to be produced in the large quantities in many countries till today as military fuel canisters.
Up to the development of the easy-to-handle triangle fuel tank cartridge stamped with quantities of 2.5 to 20 liters in civil and military use are common. The army unit is also made up of the embossed cans and was developed following a 1935/36 call and the Mueller Co Ltd, works in Schwelm, Westphalia, under the direction of Vincent Grünvogel. In 1936 a series of 5,000 units for the tests came to the troops.
In 1937, it received its definitive form by the company Ambi-Budd (ABP). Even during the World War II, Switzerland and Italy also used this can. Also for the British army left the British Department of War to introduce the identical containers. With the landing of the allies in July 1944, the large quantities of the containers arrived on the European continent.
The original model had on both sides a simple, cross-shaped high relief for plate reinforcement and was made around 1941. The later models with better profile have been drawn for the German Wehrmacht and the Waffen SS since 1939 until 1945 by 19 manufacturers in large quantities. From 1940, there was also a 20 liter water unit container. The unit allows a refueling boat of the vehicles without the additional use of the tool or funnel.